"Mortal Lessons: Notes on the Art of Surgery" Richard Selzer

"On the bulletin board in the front hall of the hospital where I work, there appeared an
announcement.  "Yeshi Dhonden", it read, "will make rounds at six o'clock on the mor-
ning of June 10."  The particulars were then given, followed by a notation: "Yeshi Dhonden is Personal Physician to the Dalai Lama."  I am not so leathery a skeptic that I would not knowingly ignore an emissary from the gods.  Not only might such sang-froid
be inimical to one's earthly well-being, it could take care of eternity as well.  Thus, on the morning of June 10, I join the clutch of whitecoats waiting in the small conference room adjacent to the ward selected for the rounds.  The air in the room is heavy with ill-concealed dubiety and suspicion of bamboozlement.  At precisely six o'clock, he mat-erializes, a short, golden, barrelly man dressed in a sleeveless robe of saffron and mar-
oon.  His scalp is shaven, and the only visible hair is a scanty black line over each hood-
ed eye.

He bows in greeting while the young interpreter makes the introduction.  Yeshi Dhonden
, we are told, will examine a patient selected by a member of the staff.  The diagnosis is as unknown to Yeshi Dhonden as it is to us.  The examination of the patient will take place in our presence, after which we will reconvene in the conference room where Yeshi Dhonden will discuss the case.  We are further informed that for the past two hours Yeshi Dhonden has purified himself by bathing, fasting, and prayer.  I, having breakfasted well, performed only the most desultory of ablutions, and given no thought at all to my soul, glance furtively at my fellows.  Suddenly, we seem a soiled, uncouth lot.

THe patient had been awaken early and told that she was to be examined by a foreign doctor, and had been asked to produce a fresh specimen of urine, so when we enter her
room, the woman shows no surprise.  She has long ago taken on that mixture of compli-ance and resignation that is the facies of chronic illness.  This was to be but another  in an endless series of tests and examinations.  Yeshi Dhonden steps to the bedside while the others stand apart, watching.  For a long time he gazes at the woman, favoring no part of her body with his eyes, but seeming to fix his glance at a place just above her
supine form.  I, too, study her.  No physical sign nor obvious symptom gives a clue to the nature of her disease.

At last he takes her hand, raising it in both of his own.  Now he bends over the bed in a kind of crouching stance, his head drawn down into the collar of his robe.  His eyes are closed as he feels for her pulse.  In a moment he has found the spot, and for the next half-hour he remains thus, suspended above the patient like some exotic golden bird with folded wings, holding the pulse of the woman beneath his fingers, cradling her hand in his.  All the power of the man seems to have been drawn down into this one purpose.  It is palpation of the pulse raised to the status of ritual.  From the foot of the bed, where I stand, it is as though he and the patient have entered a special place of
isolation, of apartness, about which a vacancy hovers, and across which no violation is possible.  After a moment the woman rests back upon her pillow.  From time to time, she raises her head to look at the strange figure above her, then sinks back once more.  I cannot see their hands joined in a correspondence that is exclusive, intimate, his fin-gers receiving the voice of her sick body through the rhythm and throb she offers at her wrist.  All at once I am envious - not of him, not of Yeshi Dhonden for his gift of beauty and holiness, but of her.  I want to be held like that, touched so, received.  And I know that I, who have palpitated a hundred thousand pulses, have not felt a single one.

At last Yeshi Dhonden straightens, gently places the woman's hand upon the bed, and
steps back.  The interpreter produces a small wooden bowl and two sticks.  Yeshi Dhon-
den pours a portion of the urine specimen into the bowl, and proceeds to whip the liquid with the two sticks.  This he does for several minutes until a foam is raised.  Then, bowing above the bowl, he inhales the odor three times.  He sets down the bowl and turns to leave.  All this while, he has not uttered a single word.  As he nears the door, the woman raises her head and calls out to him in a voice at once urgent and se-rene.  "Thank you, doctor", she says, and touches with her other hand the place he had
held onto her wrist, as though to recapture something that had visited there.  Yeshi
Dhonden turns back for a moment to gaze at her, then steps into the corridor.  Rounds are at an end.

We are seated once more in the conference room.  Yeshi Dhonden speaks now for the first time, in soft Tibetan sounds that I have never heard before.  He had barely begun when the young interpreter begins to translate, the two voices continuing in tandem - a biblical fugue, the one chasing the other.  It is like the chanting of monks.  He speaks of winds coursing through the body of the woman, currents that break against barriers, eddying.  These vortices are in her blood, he says.  The last spendings of an imperfect heart.  Between the chambers of her heart, long, long before she was born, a wind had come and blown open a deep gate that must never be opened.  Through it charge the full waters of her river, as the mountain stream cascades in the springtime, battering, knocking loose the land, and flooding her breath.  Thus he speaks, and is silent.

"May we now have the diagnosis?" a professor asks.
       The host of these rounds, the man who knows, answers.
       "Congenital heart disease", he says.  "Interventricular septal defect, with
       resultant heart failure."

A gateway in the heart, I think.  That must not be opened.  Through it charge the full
waters that flood her breath.  So!  Here then is the doctor listening to the sounds of the body to which the rest of us are deaf.  He is more than doctor.  He is priest."

43 Comments to The Surgeon as Priest:

www.assignmentking.co.uk on Tuesday, August 29, 2017 10:29 AM
Generally this site has been sharing and giving us better and informative points here,thanks for sharing. Mostly this davidleecooks blog has been updating about answering trump.

australianwritings on Wednesday, April 4, 2018 4:48 AM
Being a priest is an honor and I am sure that you have been making the effort to be on the top. Still it was an interesting post to go through it for the mean time that has been relevant to others.

hanryleo on Friday, May 11, 2018 2:10 AM
The surgeon priest is very impressive article you share in this website. I read this article and i get a lot of interesting information from this post. Thanks for sharing this all. Keep sharing. tarpaulin sheet supply in uk

expert on Saturday, May 12, 2018 9:48 AM
Well post Staff! I read this article exceptionally fascinating and in addition I need to continue seeking this sort of point. custom boxes with logo printing

ncrforms on Thursday, May 17, 2018 7:31 AM
You have provided good information. I would love to read more on such topics. Thank you very much for it and carry on it.4 part carbonless forms not pad

orlando fire damage services on Wednesday, June 6, 2018 10:23 AM
I have just now visited your post which is quite informational and valuable for everyone. Thanks for providing us impressive article along with useful info.

Dissertation Proposal Writing Help on Friday, June 8, 2018 11:32 PM
Dissertation Guidance Provides Quality Online Dissertation Help For Students.

Do MY Computer Science Assignments on Saturday, June 9, 2018 1:09 AM
This Is Really Great Work. Thank You For Sharing Such A Good And Useful Information Here In The Blog For Students.

William on Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:23 AM
Thank you for all your efforts that you have put in this. Very interesting information I like this site very much so much superb information. printing 4 part ncr forms

roblox hack 2018 on Thursday, June 28, 2018 7:21 AM
Hey friends if you want to hack roblox then must try my link

Jorge Anderson on Friday, July 6, 2018 8:26 AM
Thanks a lot for the kind of perfect topic I have not a lot of information about it but I have got an extra unique info in your unique post. Perfect description you have provided thanks for sharing. carbonless forms online shopping

steam codes free on Thursday, July 26, 2018 12:35 AM
Hey friends if you are using steam wallet and want more and more steam wallet codes for free then must try my link.

loemrntdherid1 on Monday, July 30, 2018 10:56 PM
I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

water damage dallas on Tuesday, July 31, 2018 6:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your worthy and inspirational stuff which have you shared with everyone. I would like to say you have shared valuable stuff.

johnsmith on Saturday, September 8, 2018 2:22 AM
I like the all the blogs which you share in this. I am impress by the information you share in the post of surgeon as priest. Its appreciated. I must share this with other. Keep sharing. best seller of scrimmage vests

Kathryn Tyas on Monday, September 24, 2018 12:24 PM
Hi! Love the content on "David Lee Cooks"! Found here: https://www.davidleecooks.com/blog/2016/03/19/The-Surgeon-as-Priest.aspx You know, websites get traffic from their blog, and we feel that you could use a little help, since you are not blogging weekly yet. Writing takes a lot of time, and we have just the team to come up with great content you are looking for. You can have a brand new article to post on davidleecooks.com starting at $10 in as little as 5 days! We are so proud of our work, we even offer an unbeatable 60-Day Money Back Guarantee! Check out our work and reviews here: https://goo.gl/QyVzMj Thanks for your time, Regards. Kathryn Questions? Kathryn@seowriters.ml You are receiving this email because the contact form at davidleecooks.com is open to the public. If you like to opt-out of future communications from us, please submit your request here: https://goo.gl/8AgtDC Unsubscribe to stop getting our emails.

Lewis rowlings on Wednesday, October 10, 2018 6:11 AM
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for sharing this great article! That is very interesting Smile I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this! 4 part Flower Shop Forms

James Rogla on Thursday, October 11, 2018 6:27 AM
Yes i have seen this post about the Surgeon. I have get lot of knowledge. I am going to share this post with my friends. Thanks for this. rubber matting

Josh Gasser on Tuesday, December 4, 2018 2:44 AM
We really appreciate the kind of topics you post here and best work you have done, keep it up.Cheap Food Service Forms

http://www.carbonlessformsco.com/carbonless-snap-form.html on Monday, March 25, 2019 4:01 AM
This post was very well written, and it also contains a lot of useful facts. I enjoyed your distinguished way of writing the post. Thanks, you have made it easy for me to understand.

https://styleup365.n on Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:45 AM
Highly appreciated! Great piece of work all the content is worthy and to the point.

buy subscribers youtube on Tuesday, May 14, 2019 2:46 AM
Great work! I really like it because i got exactly what i am in searching for

order beginners telescope on Sunday, November 24, 2019 12:10 PM
I am so happy to come across this piece of write up, very much advanced my understanding to the next top level. Great job and continue to do same.

Cranefest on Wednesday, January 1, 2020 2:45 AM
In the “Surgeon as Priest,” Richard Selzer dives into the religious and scientific aspects of being a surgeon LOve this Blog very info i like thatBobmovies Alternative

superherohype on Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:26 AM
you know how hard it is to find good SEO in this area? “I started a SEO business in this area to solve that problem.”

Mocospace on Thursday, January 23, 2020 8:28 AM

Useless Websites on Friday, February 7, 2020 6:44 AM
The Surgeon as Priest Useless Websites

Strip Curtain UK on Saturday, February 22, 2020 11:46 AM
We offer a variety of strip curtains which can cater to your specific requirements. From our polar grade strip curtains, which are ideal for frozen rooms, such as chillers and cold stores, to our anti-static flame retardant strip curtains, which improve the efficiency of air conditioning in data centres, we have the right strip curtains for you.

Eyal Nachum on Wednesday, March 18, 2020 11:25 AM
Fintech also bring about an interruption of the insurance policy sector (InsureTech) including every little thing from on the internet policy handling, data protection as well as offering customized insurance policies. Eyal Nachum is a fintech guru and a director at Bruc Bond. Eyal is the architect of the software that SMEs use to do cross-border payments.

Online Quran Tutor on Saturday, March 21, 2020 9:58 AM
The Quran is a book sent by Allah to guide humankind. The Quran is a complete code of life that means it directs the people regarding every single aspect of their life. It was sent to convey Allah’s messages to the people of earth. By following Allah’s messages, a person can succeed in both worlds. To interpret its messages, Allah has chosen some persons on this earth, whom we call the Quran tutors. Any Quran tutor could never be as good as the Prophet P.B.U.H.was.But by following his teachings, good tutors can be generated. Our website has gathered all the best Quran tutors from all over the globe who happily walk into the footsteps of Prophet P.B.U.H and teach the Holy Quran to the people. Our website provides the leading Quran tutors. We offer a wide variety of online Quran courses because of our wide range of online Quran tutors. Our services are suitable for both adults and kids. We have passionate online Quran tutors who enable you and your family to learn the Quran in the best and the easiest way.

Airport Taxi on Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:58 AM
Moving for solace doesn’t have to be costly. You will look to official automobiles over regular cabs. The drivers are circumspect about reliability, enjoyment, expertise, and qualification. We have an unparalleled level of expertise, confirmed and seasoned drivers, offering you unparalleled taxis from the airport and surrounding cabs.

Anonymous on Wednesday, March 25, 2020 11:45 PM
Fantastic article about surgeon as priest. I really enjoy reading your post. I found it very interesting in further thanks for sharing. tarpaulin sheet

Anonymous on Thursday, March 26, 2020 12:00 AM
This is my first visit to this website, you have shared useful content which i like it a lot.Keep sharing more similar stuff. rubber flooring

Anonymous on Thursday, March 26, 2020 2:07 AM
I found your website while surfing over the internet, you have shared useful content which i enjoyed reading.Keep sharing more similar articles. grass reinforcement mesh

Online invoicing software on Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:28 AM
The tenets of the diversion are always showing signs of change for various business enterprises. They should work with insignificant expenses without spending a penny more than is required and also increment the extent of their activities, when important. They need to work, no matter what the location is, and be quicker and more dynamic than their competitors. What’s more, they should make the most out of their information, so as not to pass up promising open doors in expanding the number of offers.

David Brian on Thursday, March 26, 2020 7:36 AM
First of all thanks for the post. Actually it is wondrful post. I do like your firm workings and be grateful for your idea. I can pass on you another site where you can get information. Finally i will say this is wonderful job and keep it up. visit Rubberco.co.uk

Marie on Friday, March 27, 2020 10:18 AM
It was an amazing experience visiting your site, all the blogs here are as per the standard of the query. Really appreciate your effort for this. buy mobile on installments

Greggo on Friday, March 27, 2020 10:53 AM
This blog is very effective and valuable. I am very glad to read your blog. I hope you will soon share your next post about this discussion. Thanks for sharing and keep sharing. brazil news today in english

Meleena on Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:22 AM
I read your excellent post. I am very glad after reading this post. I really appreciate your effort and my request is to please share us more post in future. Thank you for sharing great and cool information. Keep it up. hidrocor lenses

Jessica on Saturday, March 28, 2020 10:58 AM
This article is very interesting and amazing. I am really impressed with your work. I want more similar topics about this post to increase our knowledge. Thanks for sharing and keep sharing. pakistani salwar kameez for sale

Braun on Saturday, March 28, 2020 11:34 AM
An extraordinary data for good locales I think everybody feels data is entirely mind boggling. Best sewing machine parts in Pakistan

small tattoos on Monday, March 30, 2020 4:18 AM
small tattoos https://inksmalltattoos.com/ small tattoos

Percie on Monday, March 30, 2020 2:00 PM
Its really great and cool post. its really great and cool post. its really good and cool post. HACCP Certification