Origin and Development of Tibetan Medicine (part 5)

"The Chagpori Medical School

Sangye Gyatso performed another great service when he founded the Chagpori medical school in Lhasa in 1696, in accordance with the wishes of the 5th Dalai Lama, who died ten years previously.  The idea was to clarify medical theory and practice in a code of practice.  Chagpori was the first national Tibetan medical center, built in Lhasa on the so called 'iron hill' close to the Potala Palace, the Dalai Lama's winter residence.  This centre served as a model for other medical schools founded during the 18th century - in East Tibet, Beijing, Mongolia, and Buryat (southern Siberia).

Most of the personal physicians of subsequent Dalai Lamas were trained in Chagpori.  Even in the 20th century many of the monk doctors teaching there, and most of the 70 pupils, were monks from the Gelugpa monasteries, known as the 'Yellow Caps'.

Although the Yellow  Church was the main proponent of Tibetan medicine, a lay tradition formed alongside this.  Teaching Tibetan medicine was no longer a preserve of Buddhist monasteries, and more and more 'worldly' doctors started practising too.  They handed
down their knowledge within their families from generation to generation, a tradition that is sustained to this day.

The Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute

Tibetan medicine's systematic adoption by doctors began at the time of the 13th Dalai Lama, Tubten Gyatso (1876 - 1933).  In order to provide new impetus for the teaching centre in Chagpori, he founded the Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute in the centre of Lhasa in 1916, and appointed his personal physician Khyenrab Norbu (1883 - 1962) to be in charge of it.  The Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute remained the government's medical institute and hopspital up to the time of the Chinese invasion.  Only half of all medical students came from the monasteries, while the other half were lay students from different regions of Tibet.  The institute had the capacity to train up to a hundred students in medicine, astrology and Buddhist teaching at any one time.

The Tibetan Medical and Astrological Institute was destroyed during the Cultural Revolution by China."

8 Comments to Origin and Development of Tibetan Medicine (part 5):

uk bestessays on Tuesday, July 03, 2018 7:06 AM
Great development and origin of tibeten medicine, the clarify medical theory and practice in a code of practice. Keep follow the davidleecooks site and effective topics on monk doctors teaching there for knowledge.

pogwarsaw2013.org on Monday, October 29, 2018 4:02 AM
The unconditioned state sometimes offers old products especially those products who made by woods. I hope they soon work on it and make a few good products.

Anonymous on Sunday, May 12, 2019 10:06 AM

Amniotic Derived Stem Cells on Friday, May 31, 2019 3:33 AM
This is really great information found here, I really like your blog. Thanks very much for the share. Keep posting.

Neck Pain Frankfort on Friday, May 31, 2019 6:36 AM
I am not sure where you're getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent information I was looking for this info for my mission.

celebrity net worth on Thursday, July 04, 2019 6:09 AM
Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work.

Anonymous on Monday, July 22, 2019 11:32 PM

writing a coursework on Monday, July 22, 2019 11:43 PM
I am not sure why you actually share this kind of information here but I just want you to know how much amazed I am because of what I have learned today here. Thank you so much for continuously feeding us with information that we never know we actually needed. I just feel so fulfilled upon knowing that I am learning things that will be a big help for me at some point. Being able to know the origin and development of Tibetan Medicine is a big honor. I am still planning to check some of your other blogs to make sure that I would not miss anything important.